Saturday, November 9, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community:Local and State Levels


There are different varieties of communities of practice that appeal to me personally.  This is due to the fact that I have an intense desire to better the field of early childhood education for young children as well as educators.  With this said three communities of practice that appeal to me in my local area is the early learning coalition, episcopal children’s services as well as Putnam provider association.  These three communities of practice deal with implementing successful practices that will continue to improve the field of early childhood education.  The reason I began the educational journey I am currently on is to implement effective practices for future educators in the early childhood field.  My desire is to teach on the college level.  I have not had a lot of experience trying to get my foot in the door in this field however. I will continue my education when this journey is complete by beginning my doctorate degree in January.  I currently own a local preschool and have been successful in maintaining excellence in the preschool for our small rural community.  I feel it is essential to strive to educate professionals in the field and that it is a duty to continue to push for early childhood educators to be educated!  

4 comments:

  1. Brooke,
    All of those agencies seem worthwhile. I also have a desire to teach at the college level, but for now I am not continuing my education to obtain my doctorate. (I need a Break) I also own a childcare center (2 of them) and my time is limited and my work day is long. I think your dedication to the field is honorable, and education adults is the only way to share our knowledge. Good Luck to you. I would love to talk more about the daycare business with you, it would be interesting to see if we have the same issues.
    Take care, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    I too am looking forward to educating ece teachers. I really want to focus on educating future teachers how to teach social emotional skills to young children. Currently there is no formal education requirements for ece students in this area. It is hard for me to understand how the powers that be decide what is required and what is not. They have also lowered the amount of practicum hours students have to have and I have been asking for years to have them increased! I think once again we fall into that dilemma of if we want to be treated as professionals then e have to be educated and behave like professionals. There is so much information to support the need for SEL in early childhood. So when are we going to start educating future teachers on how to incorporate this in the classroom! I very much agree that it is a duty that we push our field forward and not just sit by and do nothing.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke,
    I love your enthusiasm for teaching early childhood educators! I agree that it is so important for EC teachers to be educated and trained properly. I also think that it is crucial that we convince policy makers, school boards, etc of the necessity for educated teachers and that we compensate them accordingly. Have you found any local organizations that are advocating for teacher education and pay raises?
    :)Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke,
    I think that is great that you already know that you are going to begin work on your doctorate. I have personally been struggling with that possibility. Are you going to continue with Walden? What area are you going to study? I think wanting to work at the college level is a great goal
    I wish you well.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete